Friday, July 29, 2011

The Bumps Are What You Climb On

I think it’s safe to say life isn’t easy for most of us.  We all go through various trials, whether it’s our relationships, our finances, our health, or something else.  No one has the perfect life. 

I tend to think of life as a path we travel. We have multiple goals, and the steps we take to achieve these take time. There are often unexpected twists, turns, and bumps along the way. Whatever bumps you encounter, you likely have feelings like turning back, or taking an easier path to get there, or even giving up altogether.

Warren Wiersbe writes in his book, The Bumps Are What You Climb On, “You can’t understand . . . why God doesn’t remove the stones and straighten the path.  If God did that, you might never get to the top, because the bumps are what you can climb on.”

When I read this, it made me pause. Is there something I can learn from the tough stuff? If God wants me to grow and change, how so?  Hmm.  It changes what I pray for. 

How about you?  Do you struggle with things you’d rather God just take away?  What do you think of Wiersbe’s idea that God puts the bumps in your life to make you grow as you climb over them? 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

3 comments:

Vonda Skelton said...

Ellen, the older I get the more I can look back and see God at work during those difficult, bumpy times. Even though it's hard to appreciate at the time, those experiences change circumstances, change directions, and change me into what He truly has for me to be.

Ellen Andersen said...

I agree Vonda. Only in hindsight can we recognize how, and perhaps why He's changed who we are. His goal is to make us more like Him. And He certainly understands suffering.

Carolyn K Knefely said...

Writing has been my stumpling block most of my life. Imagine how I dreaded stepping on the path of a writer's life when God lead me in that direction.
My knees were bloody in the beginning because of all of the stumbling and praying. I'ld like to say I don't trip on this path much any more, but I have a long way to go on this bumpy road without an end in sight.

However, I've come to enjoy journey because of the new POV I get to see, new people I'm meeting and feeling the new confidence that God has grown in me.

My writing may not be perfect, but it is so much better than when I began. Now, I know the rocks, bumps, and pit holes were stepping stone to a new life for me to explore. I've even learned to look down and pick up a rock or two as a treasure that no longer causes me to stumble but still keeps me humble.