Saturday, June 18, 2011

One Step At A Time


 rockclimbing

Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I Psalm 61:2

Camp was always a lot of fun. For years, I went rock-climbing and rappelling. The belayer, tied into the rock at the top, was secured with specific knots to ensure safety. The person scaling the rock before the climb begins, the belayer and the climber communicate to make sure each is ready. “On belay?” “Belay’s on.” “Climbing?” “Climb!”

I began to climb, looking for and grabbed hold of handholds and footholds to pull myself up. Sometimes I had to jamb my hand or foot in a crack, secure it, and shift my weight to hoist myself up. Keeping in mind my goal was to reach the top motivated me to continue up the rock, despite the periodic scrapes and bruises along the way.

It often looked impossible because I saw nowhere to place my feet or hands. But, the belayer and those at the bottom had a different perspective and they could see the bigger picture. They suggested other possible routes for me to take. Following their direction allowed me to reach the top, eventually.

Only years later did I realize how this situation is akin to my life. Many times, I set out toward a goal and have a plan to get there but can’t do it alone. God uses people with a different, bigger perspective to help me along the way. Listening to them gives me the support I need and encourages me to persevere, taking it one step at a time.

If your goal seems out of reach, or you can’t see how to get there, look to God and seek His path for your life. He alone can see the big picture and will lead you in the right direction.

2 comments:

Carol Anne Wright Swett said...

Oh, Ellen! What a wonderful word picture!

Ellen Andersen said...

Thanks Carol Anne.