Friday, June 17, 2011

 Beauty, Part 1

Ecclesiastes 3:1-2 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:  a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot


I love nature.  Whether it’s hiking the mountains, wading along streams, or watching a sunset doesn’t matter to me. I love it all. 

I think one of the things I love most about nature is that it’s so pure.  Our gardens are full of daylilies like these.  Yesterday, I counted 35 in bloom in one of the gardens in our front yard.  Such vibrant colors, and yet each flower lasts only one day.  One day.  Seems like such a short lifetime, don’t you think? 

So why plant something whose blossom has such a short lifespan?  What’s the point if it’s only going to die by the next day? 


Perhaps it’s because it’s not the amount of time the flower has on this earth, but the enjoyment we get from them while they are here.  They provide a great splash of color to enjoy. And, since we know it’s going to be gone tomorrow, we’ll take time to enjoy its beauty while it’s here.



No comments: