Monday, February 15, 2016

Names of God

Beginning today, we’ll have a series on the names of God—what they mean, what they tell us about who God is, and how we can relate to Him. Perhaps we’ll be surprised
at what we find about Him. It may change our perspective of God and how we relate to Him. Join me as we seek to learn more about the Lord. 

Today I want to start with the name God gave to Moses to tell the Israelites who He is. God said his name is I AM. 
 
This is what Jehovah means. When I first heard this, I didn’t get it. I wondered, “What kind of name is that?  I AM isn’t a name.” But, with time and listening to others who know a lot more than I do, I realized that I AM is one of God’s characteristics, and tells us about His nature. 
I AM. It’s present tense. Not I WAS, not I WILL BE, but I AM. Since that’s his name and describes him, then he always will be. Nothing, no one, and no circumstances will ever change who he is and what he’s like. That means I can trust him to stay true to his nature, no matter what.
I'm speculating here, but I’m willing to go out on a limb and say that God introduced himself with this name to let the Israelites know he is the one entity in their lives that is stable. That even though many things in our world change, God never will. He will always remain the same. 
That gives me comfort. Our world changes so fast it can make my head spin at times. What does the fact that God will always be who he is regardless of anything else that changes mean to you? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
 

 

1 comment:

Cathy Baker said...

Comfort, indeed! What a blessing to know that when everything seems like it's spinning out of control we have the blessed assurance that He has always been, and always will be I AM. Thank you, Ellen.