Sunday, February 28, 2016

Jehovah Jireh--The God Who Provides



Today I feel compelled to share a name of God that I’ve experienced in the last week.  Jehovah Jireh. It means The God Who Provides.

Several of my neighbors and I had planned to go out for lunch one day but I needed to take my dog out first. I saw my neighbor, Mary Carol,
headed out and asked if she was going to lunch. She said yes and offered me a ride. 


I agreed to go with her as soon as I’d taken care of Petey. (He’s cute, and looks innocent as you can see, but he’s also very strong.) I walked him down the street and took him onto the island. Unfortunately, he jumped off suddenly and began to run.  It took me by surprise and I hit the pavement, face first.  Blood streamed from my nose, forehead, and upper lip. I cried out but no one heard me.  Meanwhile, I was holding onto Petey to keep him from running in the street.  Continuing to cry, I struggled to stand up and walk to the house.  I stopped near Mary Carol’s where she sat in her car.
 

When she saw me, she became a bit frantic and helped me home. She helped me clean up, calm down, and get some medicine.


I went to the local urgent care and my next door neighbor, who’s an x-ray tech there, checked me in. I had no idea he’d be up front near the waiting room. He must have been filling in for someone. As he checked me in, Mark called to one of the nurses and told her not to take the next patient in yet and said that they had to take me first. I wasn’t seen first but Mark got me into a private room, away from everyone else—likely as good for them as it was for me.

Mark came back two more times while I was there, asking if I needed anything and suggesting I try a retractable leash for Petey. Then he came a little later to tell me he was headed home.

Mary Carol didn’t have to take me home and help me and Mark certainly didn’t have to go out of his way at work to put me in a room where I could wait by myself away from anyone else. But God orchestrated it all. I fell when Mary Carol was still at home, and just an hour before Mark left work. So, despite the fact that I have two black eyes and several bandages on my face, God did, in fact, provide what I needed when I needed it. Jehovah-Jireh indeed. It’s all a matter of perspective.

How have you seen God provide what you or someone else needed recently? Don’t forget to join the conversation.
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes God does provide for us! We pray you will recover quickly.

Unknown said...

Oh Ellen I know what that feels like! Praying for increased steadiness for you and quick healing!

Ellen Andersen said...

Thanks Celeste. It will get better in time. God has been good.

Ellen Andersen said...

Thanks. I appreciate it.