Monday, September 28, 2015

Mercy on a Sunday Morning


I started out a little late heading to church that morning.  Not real late, maybe 5 minutes or so.  I drove a little faster as a result.  About a mile and a half down the road I heard a siren
  behind me. Looking in my rear view mirror, I saw the  blue lights.“Uh-oh. He wants me to pull over.”  I wonder how long he’s followed me and I didn’t see him I thought. I moved right and turned into the nearest gas station.  The officer got out of the car, looked at my license plate, and approached my window. 

“Good morning officer” I said, dreading what came next.

“Where ya headed this morning?” he asked. 

“Church” I said. My typically alto voice had suddenly become a tenor.

“The reason I pulled you over is that you were going 51 in a 35mph zone.”

“Oh, I had no idea” I said, realizing a moment later that was probably a bad thing to say since it told him I hadn’t been paying  attention to the speedometer.

I handed him my license and registration and he headed back to his car.

I sighed. These cost a lot of money  I said to myself. I began to try to figure out how much I'd have to pay.  About five minutes later, he came back with a paper in his hand.  “I’m gonna give you a warning this morning.  No fine, no points. Slow it down and drive safely”, he said.

Thank you” I said, emphasizing the word “thank”.  I knew I deserved a ticket. Then he was gone. 

I breathed a sigh of relief and thanked God for the officer’s mercy on me that morning and drove on to church.  

When have you witnessed God’s mercy in your life or someone else’s? Let’s talk about it!

 

No comments: