Saturday, August 13, 2011

When Life Throws Us A Curve




He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.

Yesterday, in an effort to encourage me, a friend e-mailed me these words to an old hymn.  As I looked at the e-mail again today, it struck me.  It’s easy (at least for me) to take things for granted when life’s going well.  But when the going gets tough, we sit up and take notice.  And we may complain, “Why, God?”  We may even get mad at Him. 

But He stays right beside us. Despite our protests, and complaints, He never leaves our side. 

Even if the situation doesn’t change, He gives us the strength to endure it.  To persevere one step at a time.  We receive His mercy as He never gives more than we can handle as we walk with Him. 

And when we surrender it all, because we realize we can do no more, He gives us His peace.  It’s ours for the taking. 

If only I could remember this as trials come up. I’ll try to remember this as I go about my day. Every day. I think it’ll  change my attitude, and how I experience the everything that comes up, even if the outcome doesn’t change.   What do you think?

1 comment:

Allison Martin said...

I think the peace comes from a place of trust and often trust is not our first instinct when something's going wrong. We have to discipline ourselves to trust that God knows what He's doing every second of every day and believe that even our rough times He's still there. Enjoyed this post!